To add desktop shortcut so it will be visible to all users in Windows 7, it must be set up in the Public User folder. This was known as the All Users folder in previous versions of Windows.
Here is an Overview of the steps to achieve this:
- Show hidden folders
- Make shortcut and copy it
- Browse to C:\users\public\desktop and paste
- Hide hidden folders again
To show/hide hidden folders:
- Right click on the Computer icon.
- Select Organize
- Select Folders and Search options
- Select View
- Choose radio button for show or hide
(This must be performed with a higher level login than labxxx or libxxx.)